Apply now for a job vacancy at the European Commission’s
The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union. DG ECHO works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement, and nongovernmental organisations (NGOs). Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality, or political affiliation.
DG ECHO is recruiting one National Staff to be based in Khartoum as a Driver
1. Duties & Responsibilities
The driver will be based in Khartoum, and she/he drives the office vehicle for transporting authorised personnel and delivery/collection of mail, documents, and other items for the DG ECHO office.
She/he is responsible for the below high-level responsibilities:
- Drives DG ECHO vehicles upon request and according to the information contained in the logistics board;
- Meets EU officials and visitors at the airport and provides support with visa and customs formalities arrangements when required.
- Loads / unloads vehicle and ensures security of goods while in the vehicle.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for and supervision of major repairs, timely changes of oil, checks of tires, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc. so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times;
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, check list, fuel form office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Ensures all preparations for field missions (vehicle, equipment, routes, contacts, etc.), under the supervision of the line manager.
- Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident;
- Maintains all records related to the use of DG ECHO vehicles such as Vehicle Daily Log and Vehicle History Record, and regularly submits them to relevant administration staff; · Fleet management – Follows-up the maintenance and insurance of the vehicles.
- Messenger duties: Registers, distributes and archives all the incoming and outgoing mail. Gets and delivers mail where needed.
A detailed Terms of Reference (including competencies required and more detailed information on the tasks) is available at https://www.eeas.europa.eu/delegations/sudan_en
2. Required QualificationsEducation: Secondary education or equivalent. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Experience and skills:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience driving 4wheel drives, with a safe driving record.
- Specific driving experience in the country and sub-region;
- Basic knowledge of protocol rules and procedures.
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Knowledge of communication equipment such radio, GPS is an advantage.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organization is an advantage.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Languages: English and Arabic
Languages: Fluency in English (verbal);
3. How to apply
Applications, including a cover letter, a detailed CV, a copy of education certificates, degree, and a copy of relevant employment certificates, should be uploaded at https://www.ats.flexi-personnel.com/jobs/ until 18/09/2022 at 18:00h.
The vacancy reference REF: “ECHO/Driver/SD” must be clearly indicated in the subject line. This position is open to nationals and other residents of Sudan with valid work and residence permits.
DG ECHO applies a policy of equal opportunities. Our recruitment policy is based on respect for diversity, maintaining the gender balance, as well as the balance between professional and private life, and support for training and development opportunities. For this position, women are highly encouraged to apply.
For information, the employment conditions that could be proposed include an initial contract of one year with the possibility of renewal subject to a 3-month probationary period and following a positive annual evaluation. As an indication, the monthly basic salary range is EUR 713 (which corresponds to five years of relevant work experience)
subject to local tax law. The salary will be adapted according to the exact duration of relevant professional experience supported by a work certificate (. In addition to this, the employee will also receive disability/retirement allowance, 13th month salary as well as a medical coverage.
DG ECHO’s employees are bound by the National Staff code of conduct which is available on the link: https://ec.europa.eu/echo/system/files/2019-09/code_of_conduct_for_national_staff.pdf
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates who are not contacted by 30/10/2022 should consider that they have not been selected. Any form of canvassing, soliciting, or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification.
Shortlisted candidates who are successful in the written test and who make it to the interview phase but not to the final selection will be included in a reserve list that DG ECHO will create for a period of one year in case their profiles could be considered for future processes.